Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Operation

 
The smiling little girl
 
Having lunch with a group of people, I fell to talking with a surgeon, a very interesting man. “Doctor,” I asked, “what was the greatest operation you ever performed?”
 
“Well,” he said, “I really don’t know. Many operations I have performed required all my skills. But perhaps the one that meant the most to me was the time I operated on a little girl who was given only a ten percent chance of survival. She was such a little thing, and so pale when they brought her into the operating room.
 
“At that time, I was having a great deal of trouble, myself. I had a son who was a real problem and there were other things as well. I had allowed myself to become an unhappy man. As the nurses were preparing to administer the anesthetic to this little girl, she asked, ‘Doctor, may I say something?’
 
” ‘Yes, honey,’ I replied. ‘What is it?’
 
” ‘Well,’ she said, ‘every night when I go to bed I say my prayers, and I’d like to say a prayer now.’
 
” ‘That’s all right, honey, please say your prayer, and think of me, too, won’t you?’
 
The li'l girl being operated upon
 
In a sweet voice she prayed:
'Jesus, tender Shepherd, hear me, Bless thy little lamb tonight;
Through the darkness be thou near me: Keep me safe till morning light.
 
And, dear God, please bless the doctor.' Then she added brightly, ‘I’m ready now. And I’m not afraid, because Jesus loves me and He is right here with me and is going to bring me through okay.
 
“I was blinded by tears,” confessed the surgeon. “I had to turn away and occupy myself with another wash up before I could start the operation. And I said, ‘Dear God, if You never help me save another human being, help me save this little girl.’
 
I operated on her and the miracle happened. She lived! Leaving the hospital that day, I realized that I was the one who had been operated on, not the girl. She taught me that if I take all my problems and put them in the hands of Jesus, He will see me through.”
 
- written by Norman Vincent Peale

No comments:

Post a Comment